Trying to get rid of mushrooms in your lawn?
All of the rain this summer has provided ideal growing conditions for mushrooms. In addition to all of the rain, overwatering or watering a lawn at night can also be a factor in mushrooms growing in your lawn. Though mushrooms are somewhat of an eyesore, they are actually beneficial to your lawn. Mushrooms are a sign that the soil below your turf is rich in nutrients. This, however, does not mean you should leave the mushrooms where they lay. Some mushrooms can be poisonous if ingested and may pose a threat to small children and pets. Contrary to what some may think, applying a fungicide to these mushrooms will do little to nothing. Though there are currently no chemical treatments we recommend for ridding mushrooms, there are some easy ways you can control and prevent them from popping up in the lawn:
- Pull mushrooms out at the base, or mow them away as soon as they appear. Make sure you dispose of these broken pieces. This is the best way to prevent the spread of the spores that would otherwise develop new mushroom fruiting.
- Aerate the lawn and/or dig out the affected soil and replace it with new soil and grass seed. Aerating will not only uncompact your soil, promoting new turf growth, but it will also break up the fungal mat where the mushrooms grow. Digging out and replacing the affected soil will remove any decaying matter that the mushrooms feed on.
- Fertilize every month throughout the spring, summer and fall. The nitrogen in turf fertilizer, speeds up the decaying process of fungi food, leaving little time for new fruiting of mushrooms.
- Remove any excess food sources for the mushrooms. Common examples: tree stumps, tree or shrub roots, buried debris, compost, leaves, sticks, and grass clippings. Fungi feed on decaying matter, so eliminating those food sources will eliminate mushroom growth.
- Avoid overwatering the turf, and never water at night.
For more tips on caring for your landscape, please visit us on Facebook!